Media and Information Literacy Day
In our continuing efforts to foster collaboration and enrich the Media and Information Literacy (MIL) education and experience in Kazakhstan, the Nazarbayev University Library will host the 2nd MIL Day in Nur-Sultan on October 25, 2019. MIL Day commemorates the Global MIL Week celebration led by UNESCO and its partners from October 24-31, 2019.
This year’s theme is MIL Citizens: Informed, Engaged, Empowered. Furthermore, the NU Library supports the strategic goals of the university in producing the best leaders in reforming the educational system by incorporating MIL skills and competencies not only for students but for all the citizens in shaping them to become critical thinkers.
The one-day open forum in Nur-Sultan will address the following current and relevant issues. The specific objectives are the following:
To keep the citizens informed about the MIL actions and strategies currently being developed in Kazakhstan.
To allow citizens to engage in public discussions without prejudice, censorship and provide a platform for free speech.
To develop empowered citizens who will fight for inequalities and social injustice.
- Aliya Issenova, journalist, influential blogger
- Aigerim Myrzabayeva, NU alumni, Vice-Dean for Research School of Journalism and Political Science, L.N. Gumilyov Eurasian National University
- Yerlan Sakenov, “Что? Где? Когда?” group admin in Facebook
- Assel Ibadulla, President of NU Student Government
- Nurmakhan Tastaibek, first-year student of Nazarbayev Univeristy, a social activist and a supporter of Oyan Qazaqstan
- Anna CohenMiller, Assistant Professor & Co-Founding Director of The Consortium of Gender Scholars, NU Graduate School of Education
- Zhuldyz Orazymbetova, Head of Scientific Information Resources Department, Saken Seifullin Kazakh Agrotechnical University. A member of Erasmus+ project on Development of Library Services and Information Literacy for Lifelong Learning. Trainer on Information Literacy in Science Library of University.
- Maral Nuralina, Head of Electronic Resources Department at Saken Seifullin Kazakh Agrotechnical University Science Library. A member of the international Erasmus+ programme projects on Development of Library Services and Information Literacy for Lifelong Learning
- Joseph Yap, Senior Expert, Reference Department, Nazarbayev University
Everybody is welcome to join. Register to secure a slot. Limited slots only.
Language: Some will be in English and some will be in Russian
Venue: 5E228 Conference Room (Library Extension, 2nd floor)
Related LibGuide: Media and Information Literacy by Zhuldyz Orazymbetova
- Friday, October 25, 2019
- 4:00pm - 6:00pm
- Main Campus
Subject Librarian for Graduate School of Business, Graduate School of Education & Graduate School of Public Policy
Block 5, Floor 3, Office 5E.322
+7 (7172) 69 49 74